Sunday, December 10, 2006

Crazy delicious

I made houska today. Such a project is not to be taken lightly. I spent the morning making the dough, and then had to let it rise - twice - before I could braid and bake it. But at least my fantastic mixer came in very handy. My favorite part about houska, other than eating it, is punching the dough down because you get to punch dough and smell the yeasty air escaping.

Although I've made houska several times, for the first time today I read the photocopied handwritten recipe from my great-grandma (or Grandma, not sure who wrote it) all the way through. At the end, I noticed a paragraph in Czech. Apart from "pivo" (beer), I don't speak any Czech. All I could make out was "doble recepi," and right afterwards, in English, "it is good."



I made a "doble recepi" because making the bread is such a pain in the ass, but eating the sweet bread for breakfast and sharing it with others will definitely be very good. I wonder if that is what great-grandma Koudelka was making note of at the end.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my friend, you are so very domestic these days. someday you will make someone very very happy with your breadbaking abilitites. :) -- Mon

Anonymous said...

That's some good-looking bread.

This post reminds me that I need to buy a Kitchen Aid mixer as soon as I begin working for the firm.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can share the family recipe.

Anonymous said...

hopefully the houska is a christmas present to someone in the family who REALLY loves houska! :)

blogazon said...

I could share the secret family recipe. If you really want it email me.

diaphanouslady said...

Hi John.......if you want, I can give you Grandma Koudelka's Kolache recipie.....I think you could make a mean poppyseed filling as well.
pj

blogazon said...

Sure! Send the recipe and my next attempt will be kolaches.

Piyush said...

Great information...

Best Manga Websites
Techwiki