Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Amazing Race

It is that time of year again, when yet another edition of The Amazing Race airs on CBS. The show premiered last night with a kick off in Colorado and the first leg in Brazil. I've been a little surprised that previous seasons never passed through Brazil, at least those shows that I've seen. I assumed it was because contestants needed a visa. Anyway, apparently the Brazilian Ministry of Tourism wisened up to the marketing potential of the show since most of the first episode involved the 11 teams running around São Paulo looking for clues and completing silly but entertaining tasks.

It is a little too early for me to be rooting for a particular pair but here are my first impressions of the eleven teams:

Lake & Michelle. Lake is a good ole boy from Mississippi who introduced himself to another contestant as "Lake like the ocean." The best clip was when he said, "that black lady is outrunning you" to his wife as Yolanda and Ray raced past them in the airport. Michelle seems more even-keeled.

Danielle & Dani. Probably tougher competitors than they look. The Double D's got snaps for making fun of the Eric and Jeremy's sad attempt to pick up the girls.

BJ & Tyler. Annoying and need to lose. Unfortunately they will probably be in the race for a while.

Ray & Yolanda. Seem to be a good team, but there is always the potential for trouble when a couple that has been dating long distance for five years decides to test their relationship by participating in nationally televised game show.

John & Scott. While I wanted to root for the home team, John was far too whiny to endear himself to me. The repellent interaction of two bottoms made them the first team to be eliminated.

David & Lori. Seem to really be into each other, but also a little too wholesome. Something dark lurks.

Eric & Jeremy. The jocks. I want them to lose, so for me it isn't a good sign that they won the first leg AND that they got $10,000 a piece for coming in first. Better prizes this season.

Fran & Barry. Started out okay but lost favor in my eyes when they walked right past the clue box on Viaduto Santa Efigênia about twenty times. Then there was the motorcycle assembly task where Fran tried to copy Lake. Do your own work.

Lisa & Joni. This team screams way too much but seems to have good karma. The nickname "The Frosties" just might stick.

Joseph & Monica. This pair didn't get much air time so they're a little hard to evaluate. I'm predicting major relationship drama since they just got back together and Joseph already asked Monica if she was "seriously going to cry over this" when they didn't get on the first flight to Brazil.

Wanda & Desiree. Also seem to have good karma, but Wanda assuming that everyone in Brazil understands her Spanish touched on one of my pet peeves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I swear to Allah I should've gone to law school instead. I could've been spending most of my time in Brazil and watching reality TV shows.