Monday, February 27, 2006

Big Men

Upon my return to the clinic after a lunch time swim, I approached a big black guy loading a DHL truck by one of the entrances to the law school. He was staring at my shirt with a who IS this nasara/white man look while I walked along the path. When I passed him he said, "who is that?" I responded, "Paul Biya." He then said, "oh. Cameroon." I asked if he was from Cameroon, and he said, "no, Congo Brazzaville." He laughed when I asked him if he thought I was wearing his Big Man's fabric.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you show the front?

Anonymous said...

You will probably get stoned by any Cameroonian who sees you with a Paul Biya/CPDM shirt:-)

blogazon said...

Not too far from the truth. When I lived in DC, I invited myself and a guest to the annual National Day bash at the Cameroonian ambassador's residence. The first year there were protestors outside, shaming those who entered.

I just went for the food. And with ndole, fried plantains, jalof rice, brochettes, and fufu and jamajama on the buffet table, who wouldn't?

blogazon said...

Now you're seeing double.