Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Shallow

I bought a pair of hiking boots today. I'm excited as I have been wanting a new pair for a while. Some Christmas gift certificates finally motivated me to get a pair to break them in before my trips in February and August.

As I was sending a thank you note to the people who gave me the gift certificate, a friend forwarded this article about John Granville, the USAID diplomat who was murdered in Khartoum, Sudan earlier today. I was in the Peace Corps with John; he was in the education group a year ahead of me. While we weren't great friends, we were friends and our paths crossed for the year our time in the Cradle of Our Fathers overlapped. I remember him best for the Cameroon art import business he tried to start once he returned to the U.S.

I feel shallow.

No comments: