Friday, September 11, 2009

Banda Aceh

I'm whiling away my last few hours in Indonesia in an internet cafe in Banda Aceh, the capital of Aceh province. We checked out the city's gorgeous mosque and walked around a bit, but after that there isn't a whole lot to do here. There are some nice beaches a few hours away, but they are a little difficult to get to and haven't had lodging since the 2004 tsunami devastated the area.

Last night after our arrival, I had tasty chicken sate (chicken shish kabob without the veggies but with peanut sauce). I also had an avocado shake that came with some chocolate syrup in the glass. Not so tasty, but still interesting to try. Later, I tried a soft drink by the brand name of "Bird's Nest". It tasted like popcorn, looked like urine, and contained about a half cup of tapioca pellets. As you might imagine, it was disgusting.

We head to Kuala Lumpur this afternoon. I'm looking forward to exploring the city and seeing a friend from law school who lives there. I'm also looking forward to our swank hotel with a giant swimming pool.

No comments: