Wednesday, September 16, 2009

wrapping things up

My last two days in KL were great. On Monday, we walked around the Golden Triangle area and had a ridiculously awesome spa treatment at our hotel - foot bath, body scrub, 50 minute Balinese massage, and facial. In the evening we went up the Menara KL (KL Tower), the 4th tallest freestanding tower in the world. The view was good, but I think we should have gone up in the daytime since KL is not as big as it feels from the street.

Tuesday we walked around the downtown area and colonial quarter and then had Chinese for lunch. We also visited the Islamic Arts museum, which had some really nice tapestries, calligraphy, and inlaid wood objects.

Our KL - Tokyo flight on Japan Airlines was ass. The fight was delayed for almost 3 hours; the given explanation was that the plane was overloaded. If that was true, I do not know what took 3 hours to unload. Also, we sat on the plane for most of the delay. And there was a screaming baby.

Our original plan was to use our scheduled 11 hour layover to venture into the city of Tokyo, but since our layover ended up being only 8 hours, we decided to just venture into the town of Narita, which is very close to the airport. We saw a really cool 1,000 year old Buddhist temple, had lunch, and then headed back to the airport. I am now battling a Japanese keyboard in the free Yahoo! cafe that does not serve food or drinks.

This has been a great trip, and I am excited to return to the U.S. of A. to see my fam, my dog, and my peeps. I am not looking forward to the mechanics of the very stressful week before me, and I just might find my mind drifting off to a Javanese temple or one of the dive sites on Pulau Weh.

No comments: