Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Mango Season

It’s here: mango season. A time of fear for car windshields unlucky enough to be parked under a mango tree, a time of pain for unwary pedestrians strolling along one of Belém’s many mango-tree lined streets, a time for breakfasts supplemented with two mangos.

Baskets of mangos at the Ver-o-Peso market

The fruit is ridiculously cheap right now. On Monday I bought a pile of 10 mangos for R$1, which works out to less than a nickel per mango. I am working my way through a pile of mangas amarelas, or yellow mangos.* Perhaps the next purchase will be a pile of manga vermelha, the larger red mangos that you can buy in U.S. supermarkets.


*Fo people wey sabi mango fo Cameroon, I chek se dem bi mango number 3: small wey no get rope. I don’t know why I’m writing in pidgin except for that it is fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, John--you will be missed. Thanks for all the pictures the South America unit was awesome. Do you plan to call today?