Thursday, November 03, 2005

Preparing for Bush's Visit

Just in case there was any doubt, I thought I'd clarify that President Bush is NOT popular in Brazil. After participating in the Summit of the Americas in Mar del Plata, Argentina, President Bush will stop in Brasília on the 5th and 6th before returning to Washington via Panama. The anticipated visit generated this graffiti:



"Get out Bush the killer." From the Drudge Report.

I learned from the "Drudge Report" that these statements were spraypainted on the Indian Museum and the JK Memorial, both in Brasília. The two buildings are side by side along the Eixo Monumental, a major road in the Brazilian capital, and about a ten minute walk from where I lived last summer.

While anti-US graffiti and perpetual protesters are all over Latin America, these next few days will certainly be more active than usual. This past weekend I heard an announcement that there is to be an anti-Bush rally here in Belém this coming Sunday. The protest could be interesting to see, but I think I will go to the beach instead.

No comments: