Sunday, September 17, 2006

Domesticity

What is happening to me? I spent most of the weekend doing yard work. On Saturday, I dug 50+ feet of trenches to install flowerbed barriers. Then I raked and prepped the giant dirt clod that is my backyard in order to sow some bermuda grass. I dropped $100 I don't have on flowerbed lining and grass seed, and I still had to borrow most of the tools to complete the task.

In the past two weeks, I've been to Home Depot twice, Lowe's twice, and Sear's once. My many trips to the kingdoms of Home Improvement are due mostly to the previously mentioned yard work and me being in the market for a new range.

The range I have now could be described as "vintage." The markings proudly proclaim "Super GM Frigidaire Cookmaster," and my best guess dates it to somewhere around the mid-60s. The current range can also be described as a piece of crap, since the oven is broken, one burner doesn't work, and it takes forever for the electric coils to heat and then cool. But maybe I'm being too harsh, since if it really is from the mid-60s, it has lasted a long time for an appliance.

But I need a new range, and the search for one consumes my freetime. I was just about to buy one this afternoon, but then I thought it might be a good idea to have a plumber come and look at what I think is the gas connection in the kitchen to tell me it is okay to get a gas range. I think I'm gonna go for the Maytag MGR4452B, like that means anything to you or like it meant anything to me a week ago. Translation: low-mid level gas range, $400 on sale at Home Depot, excluding installation ($100) but including delivery after the mail-in rebate and you get a $25 gift card for future purchase of grass seed or other things for your home you don't really want but sort of need.

At least I can say I was hip on Friday night. I met up with Teenymeany to hear two good bands play at a place in Deep Ellum. Once the show was over at the late hour of 12:30, I went promptly to bed since I had yard work to do.

No comments: