Thursday, September 07, 2006

morning commute

On Wednesday's 5:57 AM* train**, I had the misfortune to sit in front of two frumpy middle aged women and one frumpy middle aged man who might as well have been one of those women. You know the type: chatty office busy bodies. For fifteen minutes, they talked about whether BJ enjoyed his vacation, whether someone had to have a more invasive cancer procedure, and made stupid jokes about how yogurt isn't food.

I really wanted them to shut up, not just because of their inane conversation, but because their inane conversation was taking place loudly around me at 6 AM on a weekday. Why can't they stare blankly ahead in silence like most of the other morning commuters?

Thankfully, I had my iPod with me and popped it in my ears. I could still hear them, so I turned the tunes up, long-term ear damage be damned.


*The only way I'm going to work out regularly is if I go before work to a convenient location. The downtown Y has a pool and a decent weight room, so the Y it is at ass crack o'clock.

**Yes, I take public transportation downtown in this commuter unfriendly city. The DART is working out pretty well, and it is free. Other factors contributing to me choosing the park and ride/train/walk combo over driving were: (1) I'm a pinko hippie tree hugger; (2) I'd have to pay for parking; and (3) I hate traffic jams and driving in traffic. Along with my cleaner energy choice electricity provider, I feel morally superior.

2 comments:

you like raisins said...

Dude, I bet one of the women was my mom.

Anonymous said...

I will share with you my strategy for maintaining self-righteousness and tolerating idiotic/annoying behavior: I have a file of 'I Anonymous"es. A weekly column in the stranger where a person airs their very specific grievances in 100 words or less. So far, I'm brewing ideas with the overwhelming theme of: Seattle would be great if it weren't for Seattlelites. Specifically, bicyclists who like to yell at me when I bike thru a red light/don't have a light/breathe wrong, and drivers who can't drive worth a damn, i.e. enjoy merging lanes 5 miles before lane ends. Idiots.
Signed,
I, Anonymous