Monday, March 05, 2007

Fora, Bush

The NYT has an article in Tuesday's paper about President Bush's trip to Latin America this week.

Sadly, I don't think his trip will amount to much, primarily because our president is toxic. Here are two photos from his visit to Brazil in November 2005:

photo I took in Porto Alegre, RS

photo from newspaper based in Brasília of
activists defacing the JK monument.


Of course, there has always been a vocal anti-American* sentiment, and only a few are willing to go so far as to paint graffiti on cultural monuments. But many, many more marched to protest Bush's visit in cities all over Brazil. Even Belém had a protest march that attracted several thousand. Previously, this general anger might have been directed at the IMF or the vague concept of yankee imperialism, but thanks to Iraq, our leader provides a new focal point. No wonder Chávez is making friends and influencing countries. How many protested specifically at Clinton or Bush I?

I could say a lot more, but I won't. There will not be a chance of any improvement in relations until Bush is out of office.

*Excuse me, anti-U.S, for those in the know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

*Excuse me, anti-U.S, for those in the know.

Bah. While I sympathize with many other complaints from our South and North American neighbors about our hegemony, that particular one has always struck me as stupid and petty.

blogazon said...

I agree. For those who got pissy, and if I was feeling combative, I would point out that if I said, "United States," people might get confused with the "United States of Mexico." Besides, we're the only ones in the hemisphere with "America" in our name.

Anonymous said...

I hate those boorish United Statesians!

blogazon said...

Wait - are you talking about the United Statesians of Mexico or the United Statesians of America?