Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Gas prices

Based on an unrepresentative survey of Belém's gas stations involving a sample size of one (the Shell station closest to my house), gas in Brazil costs R$2.69 a liter. With 3.8 liters to the gallon and 2.24 reais to the dollar, that comes to US$4.56/gallon. Brazil also sells alcohol, a blend of gas and fuel made from sugar cane, for R$2.09 a liter, or US$3.55/gallon. Almost all fuel stations sell both regular gasoline and alcohol, and most cars can run on both fuels.

In other car news, I rented out my apartment's parking space to a neighbor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott and I watched a Learning Channel program on sugar, which featured a segment on Brazil's alternative fuel program. It was very pro-sugar and, thus, pro-alt. fuel. Monday, I filled up and paid $2.95/gallon for mid-grade. I curious how other prices compare. What does a gallon of milk go for? How about a pair of shoes?

blogazon said...

A great idea for a future post: my grocery list. For now, though, a liter of skim milk costs around R$1.10, or about US$1.86/gallon.

Depending on how you define "shoes," the price can vary. Cheap-o flip flops cost about R$7. A good pair of men's semi-dress shoes costs around R$150 but the prices really vary. When the exchange rate was more favorable, I used to think that shoes were a bargain but now the prices are pretty comparable.