Monday, October 10, 2005

Sorvetology, Part 2

My brain needs a break. The readings for tomorrow’s class were both in Spanish and I am trying to write the stupid reaction paper in Portuguese that basically says I did the reading. At least I’m brushing up on my Spanish/Portuguese false cognates.

With all the walking around the city I did during the holiday weekend, I passed many outlets of Cairú and continued my research into the ice cream chain’s unusual flavors. Since the last post on the same topic, I sampled the following flavors:

Tapioca: tasty but tame like the pudding.

Mestiço: açaí + tapioca.

Romeu e Julieta: cheesecake + guava jelly + flecks of cheddar cheese. The “Romeo and Juliet” is a popular food combination in Brazil. Pieces of white cheese with guava spread served as appetizers and a cheesecake both go by the same name.

Milho: corn. Not as bad as it sounds, but a little much for an entire scoop, especially when it could have been…

Carimbó: awesome. Cupuaçú + castanha do Pará (brazil nut). One of the best so far. Named for a regional music and dance.

No comments: