Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Ever fry a rotten egg?

I did this morning, and it was nasty. After wolfing down 6 pães de queijo (mini cheese rolls) filled with cupuaçú and bacuri jelly, I wanted to supplement my carb and coffee fest with some protein. So I heated up the skillet and cracked the egg over the skillet, only to spill brown goo everywhere and stink up my kitchen in the process.

I've been spoiled here in Brazil; this was my first rotten egg. Had I been in Cameroon, where one in three eggs were rotten, I would have used the tried and true float test* to identify the stinkers.


*Rotten eggs float. If you put a raw egg in a glass of water and it sinks, it is good to go. If it floats, toss it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! I should have sent you some spoiled milk (from a sippy cup that had been lost in the warm van for 5 days) to wash it down. Good tip on the float test.