Monday, April 23, 2007

Nigerian elections

The Nigerian presidential election was this past weekend, and sadly it was a disaster rife with corruption. I comment because it reminds me of Nigeria's first democratic elections held 8 years ago. At the time, I lived in Mamfé, the last town of consequence in Cameroon before crossing the Nigerian border.

I had a love/hate relationship with Mamfé; it was a shithole, but at the same time it was an amazing place to live because it was so remote from the rest of the world (Cameroon included). I fantasized about the elections on the other side of the border going horribly wrong, which would somehow cause Nigeria to invade its neighbor to the south and necessitate my evacuation by U.S. Marines sent in from Yaoundé. But that didn't happen.

Mamfé town center

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Marines would've been too busy drinking their ice cold Becks beer on their mahogany horseshoe bar, hitting on gullible female PCVs.
Mamfe-best sourdough bread in all of Cameroon.
If you get a chance, read A Fish in the Water by Mario Vargas Llosa. It's a memoir and discusses his run for presidency in Peru. He goes into detail about how countries choose to be underdeveloped. Not that Nigeria or Cameroon are. I believe the rotary club has established some really effective recycling programs in Bonaberi.