Saturday, May 26, 2007

Rain, rain, go away

Actually, I´m going away from Boquete tomorrow. So the rain can stay for all I care.

Despite the crappy weather, I managed to get some hiking in. I hiked part of a trail called Sendero los Quetzales yesterday - no quetzals, though. I turned around at the big waterfall with no obvious path continuation and was glad I did because it started raining at 11 AM and didn´t stop until sometime last night.

Sendero los Quetzales

Today was better. I was up and at ´em at 7 AM and was at the entrance to Parque Nacional de Volcán Barú by 8:15. I hiked half way up the summit of the extinct volcano - about 7.5 km and then turned around because I didn´t need to climb to the top and I knew it was going to rain. I exited the park around 12:30 and hiked back down another 8 km to Boquete. My intention was to get a taxi or a bus back, but not one passed me along the way. Maybe because I took a wrong turn and hiked along the backroads lined with coffee plantations. It started raining around 2, but it was light and I didn´t get that wet. This afternoon around 5 was another story since it poured for about an hour and has been drizzling on and off all afternoon and evening.


Clearing/farm in the Parque Nacional de Volcán Barú

Coffee plantation on the road back to Boquete

I leave Boquete tomorrow morning for David, where I will catch a flight back to Panama City. I plan to see some more sites - Panamá La Vieja (ruins) and Casco Antiguo (again). I opted to stay in a nicer hotel (yay American chains!) because I want breakfast and don´t want to put up with any crap on Monday morning right before my flight back to los Estados Unidos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Photos, man. We need photos.

Probative said...

Great stuff.

I actually remember the worn-out key-boards in the boquete internet bars.

You went during the rainy season. The word the locals use for those downpours: "una aguacera"

blogazon said...

Your wish for photos has been granted.

In Bocas, the rainy season wasn't that big of a deal - it rained a little bit in the afternoon. Boquete was a different story, but even the locals said that the all-day aguaceras were unusual. At least I got to do some hiking.