Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Verdict

Thumbs up for the Panama vacation. I did most of what I wanted to do in ten days. With a little more time, I would have visited the San Blás islands in the Caribbean, maybe taken a trip into the rainforests of Darién province bordering Colombia, and have spent another day or two in Panama City to visit some nearby towns that sound interesting.

The country is easy to get to from the U.S. and has a good tourist infrastructure but is not overrun with tourists. Because of the strong American influence, Panama isn't as exotic as other Central American countries, which is good or bad depending on what you want. The diving in Bocas was a little disappointing, but I recognize that I've been spoiled by Honduras and Malaysia.

I got a little depressed today. For one, I was at work and a week ago someone was sailing me around Bocas in a catamaran. For another thing, I was reading detailed medical reports about smashed eyeballs, the complications that arise from having your eyeball smashed, and whether the treating doctors in this case acted with deliberate indifference. Sailing and snorkeling? Fun. Smashed eyeballs? Not so much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eyeball smashing is pretty grim, but be glad that y'all don't get the family law cases (e.g., child in need of aid stuff) that state courts do.

Nice pics, by the way. Can one get by with a minimal grasp of Spanish down there?

blogazon said...

The more español you know, the better. But I think you can get by on just a little, esp. in Panama City and in Bocas del Toro.