Thursday, August 10, 2006

Brunei & Labuan

I opted to travel by land and sea to Labuan instead of taking a flight from Miri. I'm tired of airports, which are the same everywhere, and this way I was able to see more of Malaysia and spend a few hours in the tiny country of Brunei.

I left Miri on the 7 AM bus and was in Brunei by 9. Brunei is very developed and seems to have a high standard of living thanks to its vast oil wealth, which unlike in most oil-producing countries, the government (which in this case is the Sultan) shares at least some of it with his subjects. I passed through the land-based oil producing region; at times seemed like I was in the Kingdom of Shell Oil. I changed buses a few times and arrived in the capital of Bandar Seri Begawan a little before noon. On the way into the capital there were two police motorcycles clearing the way for a yellow Lambourghini with the royal seal on the door panels. Someone was out for a spin. Speaking of the sultan, it was his birthday recently. The country was plastered with banners in celebration of his big day.

There isn't a whole lot to do in Bandar. I walked around and checked out the enormous mosque and the water village, which is a bunch of floating shacks except the shacks have plumbing and satelite TV. The people were very friendly; two gave unsolicited help to make sure that I wasn't lost. I think my backpack and absence of a Landcruiser with the Shell insignia threw them off.

The mosque in Bandar
I took the 3:30 ferry to Labuan, which is a duty-free island that is part of Malaysia. The town has a good vibe, in part because it serves as a tourist destination with cheap electronics for people from other parts of Malaysia and alcohol for non-muslims escaping Brunei. The first "hotel" I looked at was totally skanky so I decided to upgrade to one that costs $20/night. At first I was thrilled to have TV in the room but was a later disillusioned to learn that there are only 4 channels, the HBO sometimes switches off, and the programming on one channel last night consisted of people singing Muslim prayers.

Today was pretty relaxed. I had hoped to dive some of the WWII wrecks off the coast, but the one dive shop here wasn't going out since the weather has been bad. Instead I visited a few WWII sites on land. I saw the beach where Gen. MacArthur and the Allied troops landed, a war cemetery, and some Peace Park built by the Japanese that had a big stone that read, "Peace Is Best." It is.

I'm spending about a half day too long here, but at least the food here is really good. I gorged on stingray last night, and I am going back to the same restaurant this evening.
Labuan street food
Tomorrow morning I am taking a ferry to Kota Kinabalu. I'm kind of excited to see what the extra 4 ringget for the first class ticket will get me. Maybe a coffee?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were the tourists in your group tolerable? What's the food like?

Anonymous said...

Hey Blogazonia,

Your trip sounds great. I miss that feeling of being lost and letting the day happen by improvisation.

Brunei sounds surreal.

Let me know when you're in big D. We should drop by EBJ's office together.

Ciao,
Teeny

blogazon said...

Mostly. There was an RPCV from the Philippines who just COSed. He spent his 2+ years diving as part of some marine conservation program. Bastard. I had to set him straight on how real PCVs suffer like I did when they make a difference in the world.

Food is pretty tasty, as you can see. Nice mix of Indian, Chinese, and some Malay dishes.