Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Singapore Airport

The past two days in Singapore were fine. The ethnic neighborhoods were interesting but also felt a little bit too planned. I visited Chinatown yesterday and Little India and the Arab Quarter today. I also stayed in Little India, too, and have been binging on Indian food for the past two days. I ate a lot of Indian food in Malaysia as well.

I also visited the financial district, the botanic gardens, and the shopping district of Orchard Road. Shopping was disappointing. I was looking for either cool stuff or bargains but found neither amongst the global brand designer stores that fill the shopping malls lining a few kilometers of road. The best thing I found was an Orange Julius stand. I thought they all closed; the one in Lubbock did about 20 years ago.

I'm now abusing the limited free internet access at the Singapore airport while I await my flight for Hong Kong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's because Orchard Road is basically for tourists/locals seeking designer items. You have to get out of Orchard to shop for bargains in electronics, etc. Besides, Orchard Road prices are not realistic, as are the rental fees.

Cheers

blogazon said...

I wasn't looking for electronics.