Sunday, October 29, 2006

On politics and junk mail

Stating the obvious: I really hope the Democrats take control of one of the houses of Congress on Election Day. Not that they have a plan for anything, but at least a power shift would force Bush and the Republicans to talk to the other half of the country.

Even if the D's pull it off in the House, they are going to hold the gavels by a very slim majority. In my past life I was a congressional aide, and I saw first hand how Democrats just don't have their shit together. Maybe things have changed in the past 4 years, but I'm not holding my breath. Basically, I want to see gridlock return and the excesses of each party constrained by the other.

In local races, there isn't a whole lot going on and the sad status quo will reign. I live in a contested state house race where a crappy Republican incumbent faces a remarkably sensible Democratic opponent. So there is some excitement there.

On an unrelated note, I've received several pieces of religious junk mail lately. A few weeks ago I got handwritten postcards addressed to someone who doesn't live here thanking me for going to their church and telling me that they'd pray for me. Last week I received some publication called "Truth," which was addressed to the Youth Pastor living at my home. "Truth" is a catalog of motivational speakers and lists all kinds of exciting people I've never heard of who can come and share their inspirational stories with my flock of impressionable youth in these troubled times - people like Austin Carty (??) from Survivor: Panama and some group called the Skate Ministry.

"Truth" is now covered in coffee grounds, and I'm off to see a movie about moral decay in suburbia.

No comments: