Saturday, February 09, 2008

La Ceiba

On the flight from Miami to San Pedro Sula, I changed my mind about heading straight to the islands and decided to spend a few days in La Ceiba instead.

La Ceiba has changed quite a bit since I passed through 6 years ago. For one, a small tourist infrastructure developed, which made it a lot easier to enjoy the area's natural wonders. I stayed at Omega Jungle Lodge, which I would describe as a backpacker ecolodge. Two Germans ran it. I spent most of the non-nature-y time sitting at the bar talking to the disgruntled returned Peace Corps Volunteer bartender who was about to quit after all of 4 days of work.

Jungle Lodge Bar

On Saturday, I went white water rafting on the Rio Cangrejal. Our group of five started off with some river swimming and boulder jumping. The river is a bit low right now, so the rapids were only class II - III, and only one was challenging. They were all fun though, and I had a great guide. All I had to do was follow his instructions on when to paddle, when to back paddle, and when to stop.

Blogazon conquers a rapid

In the afternoon, I hiked up part of Pico Bonito to a very nice waterfall whose name escapes me right now. The trail was fairly well marked and not strenous.

Cascada El Bejuco

My time in La Ceiba was very worthwhile, and I'm glad I decided to spend two nights there. I probably could have spent another day or two, but diving called.

No comments: