Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Utila

I arrived on Utila on Saturday morning. The ferry ride over was very bumpy, and some people got sick. Thankfully, I did not.

I had mixed karma on arrival. I found a great place to stay that is only $15 per night, and I found a good dive shop to dive with. My bad karma was that I felt a little ill - fluish, or maybe I swallowed some fecal matter while river rafting the day before. I decided not to dive for a day and just chilled out instead.

I did go diving on Monday afternoon. We went to two sites on the south side. Both were good - lots of corals and fish. The reef is pretty healthy. I got extremely cold during both dives, which kind of sucked.

On today's two dives on the north side, I wore two wetsuits and was quite toasty, although it was a little hard to move my arms. I felt a little bit like the little brother in "The Christmas Story." Today's dives were good, too. Our boat lost its rudder right before the first dive, so we had to get towed to the buoy, towed to the second dive site, and towed to shore. Thankfully the dive shop already has a replacement boat.

dive site on north side of Utila

I'm done for the day. Dive vacations are great. The only bad part is that I had to be at the dive shop at 6:30 AM for our departure, but after two very strenous hours underwater floating around and looking at fish I can sit around all afternoon and do nothing. Dinner is on the agenda for the evening, but first it is hammock time.

No comments: