Friday, February 15, 2008

Utila II

My week of diving in Utila was good. I liked the rhythym of the day, except for the waking up at 6:15 AM part for the 7:00 departure for the morning dives. The upshot of such an early start is that by 11, I was "done" for the day and could eat lunch, sit around, read-nap, and enjoy the sunset before dinner and turning in at 8. There isn´t a whole lot to do on Utila - what I just described pretty much sums it up. I took a walk one afternoon but aborted after about an hour b-c I decided it was hot and that I´d rather be napping.

View from Rubi's Inn pier at dawn

Utila's happenin' main street

Overall, the diving was good, not great. The reefs were pretty healthy and there was a good diversity of hard and soft corals, sponges, and fish. I was happy with the dive shop. I was a little underwhelmed b-c I think Asia really spoiled me. At Sipadan (in Malaysia), I saw a bajillion (yes, I counted) sharks and turtles and huge schools of fish. In Utila, no sharks, no turtles, some schooling fish, and certainly no whale sharks. But still, the diving was good, and I don´t regret returning to the Bay Islands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

photos?
Was the diving better than Roatan?

blogazon said...

Photos are uploaded. I think the diving on Utila was better than on Roatan. The reefs seemed healthier, although I didn't see any sharks or turtles.