Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Is studying for the bar the worst experience ever?

No, but it is definitely up there on my list.

I am very tired of studying, and I never liked studying to begin with. I also hate studying and not making any measurable progress. For example, I'm still getting about half the MBE questions wrong. Did I go to law school? What was the use of an insanely expensive bar prep course if I feel like I'm doing about the same as I was in late May?

I suppose this drawn out torture that is the bar ranks up there with my junior year spring semester when I took biochemistry and genetics. I hated both and got crappy grades to boot. Oh, I'm forgetting the protein purification lab, where once a week I would spend 8+ hours in the basement of the biology building, grinding up mouse livers and then analyzing them. We'd get a break for dinner.

As for concentrated unpleasantness, this summer prep period doesn't quite rank up there with some of the following gems I've experienced (in no particular order):
  • Having a rat jump on my head (perhaps as revenge for the torture I inflicted on its rodent brethren in the protein purification lab?)
  • Malaria
  • Having an "acid bug" fall on my face 2 mm from my right eye, going to a third world hospital for treatment, and then spending half a day looking for the medication.
  • Getting mugged by five guys at knife point in downtown Johannesburg at 10 AM.
  • Food poisoning in Lençois, Brazil. The water went out in my hotel room, so I wasn't able to flush my diarrhea before I shoved my face in the toilet bowl to puke. And then I couldn't rinse the vomit taste out of my mouth.
I'm sure once next Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday have passed, I'll be able to add them up there. And then next year I will add the Feb 07 bar as well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, I'm getting lots of MBE questions wrong, too. Do a lot of Advanced questions, get them all wrong. But then, if you go back and do some more "mixed subject" questions, you'll see you're improving. It's some kind of weird "transferred studying" thing, much like transferred intent. Did I just say that?

Anonymous said...

It only matters how your peers are doing, not what percentage you're actually getting wrong.
And don't forget the four days in hell spent listening to a fat french girl, or being stuck in a car for 5 days with two idiotic aussies. But we found the silver lining even with those two atrocious experiences. You've got the skills, Jedi, just use them.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you are having such an insane time studying. But it is almost worth it--After Thursday, you can be DONE.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Not that you guys need any encouragement . . . but taking the bar is pretty bad, too. For me, those 15 hours on the 13th Floor of the Dallas Market Center were worse than 18 hours of labor with my first child. At least no one cracked their gum and the fire alarm strobe light didn't go off in L&D. Good luck.

blogazon said...

But having Jo, the Peruvian tour guide, tell off the fat Frenchie at the end made it all worth it.