Sunday, July 23, 2006

Beyond Thursday


Around 4 this morning I woke up feeling sick because I couldn't remember what a holder in due course was or the elements of negotiability. I almost got up to check my notes, but I refused to let this stupid exam take that much control over my life. Up until now, I've been sleeping fine. Maybe my studying yesterday threw me off a bit. I did some MBE questions and did pretty well (confidence boost!) and then proceeded to totally suck on the civ pro and evidence portion (I'm gonna fail!). Sometimes I wish, "you can't do that" were an acceptable response.

I did essays this afternoon and will do some minimal studying tonight and tomorrow. It is over at this point. I'm pretty sure I can hit 70% (well, 67.5%), which is all I need. A new concern I have is that my handwriting blows. I've had daymares where I fail the bar and then get a letter saying that the bar examiners simply couldn't decipher the scratches I turned in as my answers and thus were forced to fail me.

To distract me from all of this, last night and this morning I obsessively planned my bar trip. I decided to rearrange my itinerary and skip southern Sarawak. Even though it sounds totally cool, I need to have more buffer time for when things go wrong or when I have to sit around for a day or so. Malaysia seems really developed, but I think this is a trick. I had to remember the finely honed skills I learned in the land where everything is broken. I'm focusing on this park and diving with lots of great filler in between. I'm still working on the dive part; I originally planned to just show up and look for dive operators and accomodation since the resorts are super-expensive, but I'm thinking that might be a bit risky. I may do a stationary live-aboard on a reconfigured oil rig.

So, there is life beyond the bar. I'll be in a jungle in South East Asia in two weeks whether or not I can answer the question about the negotiability of a draft received by an alleged holder in due course.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am going to plagiarize your 'land where everything is broken' for my residency app. I've been told to whore out my Peace Corps stint. Blech.

blogazon said...

Whore it. You made a real difference in the lives of starving African children, and the people who read your applications should know it. And you suffered.

you like raisins said...

Good luck, hon! I, like you, am looking forward to my bar trip. Me + back issues of vanity fair and a collection of books + Europe = screw the bar exam.